2010 Women Who Move the City Event
San Diego Magazine celebrated its fifth annual Woman Who Move the City event on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 from 6-9 PM at Scripps Seaside Forum.
The event, hosted by San Diego Magazine featured a special presentation by San Diego Magazine’s President, Jim Fitzpatrick, who presented the 2010 Woman of the Year award and 5 honorable mentions.
SAN DIEGO MAGAZINE’S 2010 WOMAN OF YEAR is Theresa Drew, Managing Partner of Deloitte & Touche. This woman Stands as the only female managing partner of a Big Four accounting firm in San Diego; chaired the San Diego United Way campaign, which raised over $24 million. She is active within the local business community, serving as a Director and Audit Committee Chair for the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, as Director and Treasurer of BIOCOM San Diego, and as Board member of the Corporate Directors Forum. She serves on the Board of the San Diego YMCA and the San Diego Symphony. She is a strong advocate of organizations that support women executives, such as Athena, and frequently speaks to groups, sharing her thoughts and advice on mentoring, networking, and career advancement.
The 5 honorable mentions include:
- Deanna Mackey, KPBS Station Manager , she leads the day to day operations of KPBS, including the award winning KPBS news division.
- Linda Lang, CEO of Jack in the Box, Jack in the Box Inc. is one of only five San Diego companies listed on Fortune magazine’s 2010 list of Americas 1,000 largest corporations and the only one headed by a woman.
- President Karen Haynes is leading California State University of San Marcos into its third decade with her eye continually trained on social transformation through access and education.
- Debra Turner Emerson is a creative and dynamic leader whose vision has guided the strategic growth of St. Madeleine Sophie Center (SMSC) for 15 years.
- Mona Sonneshein Mona’s overall management responsibilities include the Hillcrest hospital, Thornton Hospital in La Jolla, and Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Services for a total of 548 beds, the Level 1 Trauma Center, Regional Burn Center, Comprehensive Solid Organ Transplant Program, Moores UCSD Cancer Center and Shiley Eye Center.
San Diego Magazine’ s partner Security Business Bank presented the Woman of the Year with a special spa gift package. Tiffany & Co. provided and engraved the Woman of the Year’s award. On behalf of each guest, San Diego Magazine made a donation to Susan G. Koman Foundation. To further extend this recognition and create awareness for their organizations, San Diego Magazine will feature the Woman of the Year and the three honorees in a special section to run in the November 2010 issue.
San Diego Magazine is honored to recognize these truly remarkable and inspiring women," said Fitzpatrick. " All 77 qualified nominees work tirelessly for their causes and are changing lives -- they are all incredibly deserving of this recognition and we are proud to offer them our support."
The "Women Who Move the City" honorees were chosen from more than 100 entrants, each of whom is making an extraordinary impact within her community.
A special thanks to our Presenting sponsors:
Additional thanks to all of our partnered sponsors:
- Goldman Butterwisk and Associates
- Scripps Center for Executive Health
- Kaiser Permenante
- Del Mar Dental Arts
- The Princess Project
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- City of Rancho Mirage
- Engel and Volkers
- Redfearn and Associates
Thanks to The French Gourmet for the exquisite food, service and unmatched catering details and thank you to the following in-kind contributions.
- Dolce Donuts
- 3D Tea
- Glaceau Vitamin Water
- Living World Entertainmnet
- Treehouse Media Group