October is Rideshare Month, when the San Diego region celebrates the many benefits of commute alternatives, such as carpool, vanpool, bike, walk, and transit. Commuters are invited to join the Rideshare 2015 Challenge to save time and money, and be entered to win weekly prizes. The Rideshare 2015 Challenge is organized by the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) iCommute program.
Share the ride this October
Finding a new, more sustainable way to get to work can help you save money, and give you a chance to socialize, work, rest, read, or text while someone else drives. Celebrate Rideshare Month this October and choose a carpool, vanpool, bike, walk, or transit commute to get there together!
How to join the challenge
Participating in the Rideshare 2015 Challenge is easy. Carpool, vanpool, bike, walk, or take transit to work this October. Then, create a free iCommute account online and log your trip(s). Each day you log an eligible trip you’ll be entered to win weekly prizes, including a new bike!
New to ridesharing? iCommute has a few tools to help you get there together:
- The Guaranteed Ride Home program provides a safety net so you’ll never be stranded. iCommute will make sure you get home in case of an emergency or unscheduled overtime.
- See what your solo commute costs and how much you can save with the Commute Calculator.
- If you’re interested in carpooling, you can use iCommute to find a ridematch online.
- Redesign your commute with the SANDAG Vanpool Program. Participants generally spend less than $100 per month getting to work.
- The TripPlanner can help you find which transit route is right for you.
- Map your bike route with the interactive San Diego Regional Bike Map.
Help the San Diego region reduce emissions, improve public health, and save money. During Rideshare Month 2014, commuters saved more than 33,000 gallons of gasoline and nearly $350,000. More than 5.4 million calories were burned biking or walking to work throughout the month, equivalent to playing more than 2,900 rounds of golf at Torrey Pines.
Visit 511sd.com/iCommute to open a free iCommute account and join the Rideshare 2015 Challenge, or to learn more about Rideshare Month.