Pauma Mission Still Ministering to American Indian Populations
San Antonio de Pala Mission
Just as the El Rey Restaurant is a landmark, so is the San Antonio de Pala Mission, whose bell tower has commemorated more than two centuries of history in the valley.
The 35-foot tower, a precise replica of the original that was destroyed a century ago by a storm, represents the region’s Spanish and Mexican heritages and religious influence.
Pala, established in 1816 by Father Antonio Peyri as a satellite to the San Luis Rey Mission, continues to serve the local Indian tribes for whom it was originally intended. Holy Mass is celebrated daily, along with many other religious holidays and events.