Vintage San Diego: Higher Education
San Diego State University in 1934
By the Numbers
1960 - College becomes part of newly created California State College system
1971 - Renamed San Diego State University
9 Researchers at SDSU’s Center of Surf Research
77,959 for Fall 2014 admission, a new record
$14.5 M - Cost of the Jeff Jacobs JAM Center (basketball facility to be completed August 2015)
College president Edward L. Hardy had a vision. With increased enrollment at what was then known as San Diego State Teachers College, the original campus location could not accommodate the growing student body. Hardy imagined the new campus should be an expression of both learning and architecture. In February 1931, the college moved into the seven mission-style buildings of the present San Diego State University campus.
As the second man to hold the position, Hardy completed a 25-year tenure, during which the campus name changed twice. In 1923, it evolved from its original name of the San Diego Normal School to San Diego State Teachers College. Again in 1935, the California State legislature authorized the expansion of degree programs and removed the word “Teachers” from the title, making it San Diego State College. Having helped the college gain recognition and respect, Hardy retired in June 1935.