10 Hot Plates
New Openings and Coming-soons
1. Smashburger recently opened in Point Loma, the 11th SD location for the burger chain.
2. The seventh Karl Strauss brewery and restaurant is now open in North County’s 4S Ranch.
3. New chef Luke Johnson has launched a revamped menu at the Sky Room in the La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla.
4. Waters Fine Foods & Catering has a new in-house pastry chef, Joe Burns, previously of George’s and Pamplemousse Grille.
5. Under new owners, The Fleetwood in the East Village will soon become two separate establishments: The Blind Burro, a Mexican restaurant, and Cat Eye Club, a bar with a retro NYC feel.
6. Ben Lieberman, formerly of Burlap, has left his post at the Bali Hai after just a few months in the kitchen.
7. Point Loma staple The Venetian is undergoing a major renovation.The new digs should debut in October.
8. A new food truck, Brats Berlin, offers gourmet sausage on the go. Local artists will have a shot at redesigning the truck’s exterior twice a year.
9. After a fire and subsequent reno, Prepkitchen Del Mar plans to reopen to the public around September 7.
10. Lei Lounge is back—minus the cabanas—in University Heights with a new menu.