10 Hot Plates
New rumors, openings, and coming-soons
Chef Sharon Wilson of Tiger! Tiger!
1. The team behind Neighborhood and Craft + Commerce will soon open a new restaurant and bar, Prescription Tonic, in the Kadan space at the corner of 30th Street and Adams Avenue in Normal Heights.
2. Sister spots Blind Lady Ale House and Tiger! Tiger! each have new chefs, Todd Renner and Sharon Wilson, respectively.
3. Jack Fisher (previously of Addison, Blanca, and others) is now the pastry chef at Cucina Urbana. He’s planning a new cheese program as well as a revamped dessert menu.
4. The owners of PB Sushi will open Ogawashi downtown in the former Red Zone sports bar spot. Expect sushi and a pretty hefty sake menu.
Rancho Valencia Resort
5. Gaslamp mainstay Jimmy Love’s is getting a much-needed overhaul from Ty Hauter and his group, Good Time Design (The Bootlegger, Double Deuce, Tipsy Crow). It’ll be renamed Hangar 5, with an aviation motif.
6. The Cohn Group’s new Hillcrest spot, 100 Wines, is now open, with Katherine Humphus’ small-plates menu and, well, 100 wines.
7. Ritual Tavern in North Park plucked chef Kyle Berman from the Grill at Torrey Pines Lodge. Wednesday nights mean live gypsy jazz in the dining room.
8. Thanks to new ownership and a $30 million renovation, the luxe Rancho Valencia Resort reopens this month.
9. The Hotel Del’s 1500 Ocean has a new chef in Robert Hohmann, who previously worked with celebrichefs Mario Batali and Michael Chiarello.
10. A new wine bar, Village Vino, is now open in Kensington near the old Ken Cinema.