6 Tips for the Best Backyard Party
From string lights to bar carts, here’s how to bring the indoors outside under the stars
Get the Look
- Bring the indoors out. Use your dining table, chairs, bar cart, pillows, and rugs. Make sure to pull everything in close together to make it feel cozy and inviting.
- Add ambient lighting everywhere. TIP: Solar string lights that don’t require an electrical outlet are much easier to use.
- Create two separate spaces, one for dining and another for hanging out.
- Forget about fancy arrangements; pick up a few bouquets from your local grocer and place each stem in a recycled bottle or vessel on your table and around the entertaining area.
- Got free-range chickens? If not, let your dogs or other pets mingle. They'll add a down-home vibe.
- Decorate with trinkets from your home. They’ll add a level of intrigue and whimsy, while sparking conversation.
Styled by: Vanessa Matsalla, Studio Matsalla
Location: Private home in Oceanside
Table, chairs, bar carts, and poufs: Witty Rentals
Landscaping: Eric Suchman, Small Space Gardening (619-508-3023)
Table decor and vessels: Ampersand home store
Textiles, indigo pillows, and vintage Beni Ourain Moroccan rugs: Studio Matsalla
Plates, linens, and glassware: Anthropologie
Lanterns, twinkle lights, and geo table globes: World Market
Glass pitcher: Marc Jacobs for Waterford Crystal
Rose gold flatware: Crate & Barrel
Three Ways to Take the Party Outside:
From string lights to bar carts, here’s how to bring the indoors outside under the stars.
Tropical color palettes, oversized floaties, and more—get ready to splish splash in style.
Get that warm, fuzzy feeling at your outdoor urban setting—watermelon cocktails included.