10 Hot Plates
Rumors, openings, and coming-soons
The Veranda Restaurant
1. Fathom Bistro Bait and Tackle is opening soon on Shelter Island, offering craft beer and housemade sausage… and bait.
2. After 44 years of service, El Bizcocho has been replaced by Avant at the Inn at Rancho Bernardo. The hotel spent $2.5 million renovating the space.
3. A local version of LA’s Brick + Mortar has replaced The Merk bistro in the Gaslamp space tied to The Keating hotel on Fifth Avenue.
4. Fallbrook welcomes The Veranda Restaurant, with a wraparound patio and its own vegetable garden, serving lunch daily at the Grand Tradition estate.
5. Jon Mangini of Basic and URBN pizza will soon open Gang Kitchen downtown. Graham Downes designed the Asian-inspired interior.
6. The Sip winebar at Flavor Del Mar recently expanded it’s patio and updated it’s menu with happy hour prices on small bites.
7. Atop Hotel La Jolla, Cusp debuts a new winter cocktail menu this month with 10 new drinks and a “pick your poison” list of specialty gimlets.
8. Roseville Cozinha (Portuguese for “kitchen”) is slated to arrive in the former Joao’s Tin Fish space in Liberty Station. The menu was designed by Pete Balistreri of Tender Greens and Craig Jiminez of Craft & Commerce.
9. The Greyhound bus station will get a serious culinary upgrade soon, when Tender Greens opens its third San Diego location inside the downtown terminal on Broadway.
10. High-end churrascaria, anyone? The famed LA Brazilian steakhouse chain Fogo de Chao has signed a lease on the long-empty, former Borders bookstore downtown.