On Papa Doug Manchester ... and other famous Papas
A lighter look at San Diego's newest media mogul
As our wise senior editor Erin Meanley once said in a heated editorial discussion, "Hey, I gotta be entertained!" I agree, even on serious news days like today, as Papa Doug Manchester confirms he will purchase the Union-Tribune. We found a few stories from our archives on the man/mogul, outdated self-promotional videos, fun facts, and even created a list of other famous Papas, for your reference. Enjoy!
*If you'd prefer to read up on the long, storied history of the Union-Tribune's era of family ownership under the Copleys, we've got a 10,000+ word series from our archives as well. Get a fresh cup of coffee and read it here.
Who You Gonna Call? A story from nearly four years ago about "San Diego's Power Brokers" in certain industries. Journalist Dean Nelson names Papa Doug a go-to guy in land development.
“Doug Manchester needs friends” says a story on how he sees the waterfront from back in 1999.
6 Fun Facts About Papa Doug
As we went looking for some interesting nuggets to entertain you, we found a bit of a gift in Papa Doug’s wildly outdated personal and professional website. Here’s how the new media mogul reps himself online. Wonder what the SignonSanDiego folks think of the site?
- He has a way with words. One choice quote about himself: “Many hundreds of thousands of visitors from far away places have experienced the genteel touch of Papa Doug Manchester, often without ever knowing it. He creates and applies the magic that creates positive experiences. His memory-makers have routinely defined and enriched San Diego’s skylines and landscapes. And when he reaches beyond San Diego, which he often does, his visions dot the landscape of America. This is what Papa Doug has done and from what he draws satisfaction.”
- He founded the Port Tenants Association
- Then there was also this super odd video, promoting himself in all aspects of his life.
- “You’ll Love it At Leh-vitz!” It’s not all big hotel towers for Papa Doug. He also owns 3 Safeway stores and 5 Levitz furniture stores.
- A “Town & Country” kind of guy. He is or has been a member of 11 different country, golf, beach & tennis, and yacht clubs.
- “They’re Just Like US!” Disgraced Miss California Carrie Prejean wed Oakland Raiders’ quarterback Kyle Boller at the Grand del Mar Resort, owned by Doug Manchester. You know you want to see the photos...
Other famous Papas: