10 Hot Plates
Rumors, openings, and coming-soons
1. Freebirds has flown the coop in Hillcrest, closing its doors last month.
2. Chef George Morris quietly snuck into the kitchen at Beaumont’s in October and started testing new recipes and dishes. Look for a full-fledged menu revamp coming soon.
3. There’s a new chef at the tiny, cute Finch’s Bistro and Wine Bar in La Jolla. We liked his mussels.
4. From the owners of PB Sushi, Ogawashi has opened downtown at the corner of Fifth and C. The space was redesigned in wood by Paul Basile (Craft & Commerce, Bankers Hill) and there are plans to do some Japanese-inspired mixology along with a hefty sake program.
5. Heights Tavern will go in across the street from Blind Lady Ale House. The owners used to own Jose’s Courtroom in La Jolla, and have a good reputation for cool little spots. Expect reclaimed wood everywhere and a large patio out back.
6. Project Pie, a much-hyped pizza joint that first opened in the MGM in Vegas (despite originating in Carlsbad), is opening up at Fourth and University in Hillcrest.
7. A new bistro from Eclipse Chocolate is going in across from Station Burger in South Park.
8. Little Italy’s popular coffee and gelato café, Pappalecco, will soon christen a new spot in the Sports Arena area.
9. San Diego will soon be home to the latest outposts of two huge chains—Boardwalk Fresh Burgers and Fries, and Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill. No word on locations yet.
10. SD’s Hash House a Go Go continues expanding, opening another spot in Chicago, with Connecticut coming up next.