27 Reasons to Love SD Now
What’s making us feel warm and fuzzy
(page 5 of 5)
23 Because our beaches are world-famous, and not in the Baywatch way.
Tom Wolfe immortalized Windansea in The Pump House Gang (1968) and Andy Warhol made a movie about La Jolla, also in 1968. (San Diego Surf will debut here next month at MCASD La Jolla. The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh held onto it for 40 years before screening it for the first time this past fall at MoMA in NYC. One of Andy’s last projects, the film features actors like Taylor Mead and Louis Waldon.)
25 Because we’re helping to make space tourism a reality.
Physician-scientists Ravi Komatireddy and Paddy Barrett at the Scripps Translational Science Institute in La Jolla are working with NASA to prepare future tourists for space. Since the 500 travelers who’ve signed up for Virgin Galactic suborbital flights probably won’t be quite as fit as real astronauts, Komatireddy and Barrett are making sure that the Average Joe’s meds and pacemakers will work in zero gravity. And because of these tests, they’ll pave the way for the space tourism industry to hit $1 billion in 2021.
26 Because Interstate 8 now looks like a video game, with its huge multicolor decals on the westbound lanes headed for the Interstate 5 interchange.
Tourists, if you’re going to the beach, stay left, for Pete’s sake! The rest of us are trying to get to work downtown.
27 Because we attract some of the most creative talent in the country.
Click the map to view a larger image!
...And 8 things we wish we could love!
- Ferry service to Liberty Station
- More live music during the weekends.
- People using cross streets in conversation (“1100 Fifth Avenue between B and C streets” or “On Via de la Valle at El Camino Real” would help, big time).
- Better, cheaper taxi service.
- A return of the Barneys Co-Op at Fashion Valley, plus a Zara at Westfield UTC. And a Miu Miu store (anywhere!).
- Re-legalizing alcoholic beverages at the beach.
- More mom-friendly public places, like the women’s lounges at Nordstrom.