Mother’s Day Brunches
Where to treat Mom on May 13
Burlap's crab cake benedict paired with a bloody mary
Whether she likes fancy or no-frills, bottomless mimosas or just a cup of tea thank you, there's a place for Mom. Read on for details:
1. George’s California Modern only serves brunch twice a year. If that doesn’t push you to quickly make reservations then let their menu items do the talking: Brioche French Toast, Eggs Benedict with fresh Dungeness crab and Prime Shortrib hash. And how can you disregard the dazzling view? 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Lunch will start at 11 a.m. upstairs on the Ocean Terrace. To make reservations and see the menu, visit georgesatthecove.com/california-modern.
2. Mother’s Day isn’t any ordinary day, so why serve the usual fare? Instead, take mom to Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy for their special Mother’s Day Brunch, jam-packed with gourmet goodies like artisanal cheeses, rustic breads, and house made granola. It wouldn’t be Extraordinary Desserts without dessert, so expect everything from lemon bars to berry-filled muffins to flaky danishes. May 13th, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. $22.95 for adults; $14.95 for children under 11. Walk-in customers welcome; reservations are recommended. Call (619) 294-7001.
3. Maybe you can’t buy your mom 1,000 flowers this Mother’s Day, but you can take her to Mille Fleurs for brunch. Menu stand-outs include the sea scallop and lobster risotto with fried leeks and mushrooms and the carrot and orange soup with mint, sesame seeds and goat cheese crostini. May 13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Entrees range from $19 to $34. Call 858-756-3085 to make reservations, which are highly recommended. Visit millefleurs.com for a complete Mother’s Day menu and to learn more about their Mother’s Day Dinner.
4. If rooftop dining and ricotta pancakes are your mother’s two most favorite things (after you, of course) then Andaz San Diego should be your top choice for brunch this Mother’s Day. Andaz’s menu items run the gamut from simple to intricate: try two eggs any style alongside breakfast potatoes and your choice of meat or a chicken & chili hash with chili-lime hollandaise. May 13th, 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. For more information visit andazsandiego.com or call 619-849-1234.
5. Also downtown, Searsucker will offer up brunch specials such as Mom’s Pancakes with blueberries and brown butter sugar syrup or prime rib with poached eggs and horseradish béarnaise. Bonus from Brian Malarkey: Moms will enjoy a complimentary ginger honey cocktail. Hey-O! Call 24 hours ahead to order Mom a flower arrangement. Searsucker.com
6. La Valencia Hotel’s picturesque beauty is enough to warrant a visit. Now add a Mother’s Day Buffet Brunch replete with smoked salmon benedicts, Belgian waffles, and assorted spring desserts, and the result is pretty irresistible. Seating times from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. $85 per adult and $38 for children 12 and under. For more information or to make reservations call 858-551-3761 or visit lavalencia.com.
7. There’s something fishy about Mother’s Day sans brunch. Unless, of course, your Mother’s Day is fishy because it includes aquatic delicacies like Scottish smoked salmon and grilled Yellowtail. Experience the right type of fishy at Pacifica Del Mar’s four-course brunch. $37 for adults; $16 for a separate prix fixe kids menu. Visit pacificadelmar.com or call 858-792-0476 for more information.
8. The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina invites you to celebrate Mother’s Day with a memorable bayfront brunch. Your mom will feel like the queen that she is with Chardonnay poached Prawns, house made pasta dishes and gourmet entrees ranging from Lobster Bisque En Croute to Asian Braised Short Ribs. $44.95 for adults; $21.95 for children. For reservations, call 619-692-2255. Visit sheratonsandiegohotel.com for more information.
9. Remember when you carved a hole into your bedroom wall and swore the cat did it? Well the delectable hand-carved prime meats at the US Grant Hotel’s Mother’s Day brunch might be your only shot at redemption. Live music and a special gift for mom will also help your efforts. Seating available at 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., and 1:30 p.m. Adults, $69; seniors, $60; and children $22.
10. The Aragon Ballroom’s Mother’s Day Brunch at the Rancho Bernardo Inn combines a ballroom’s elegance with a ranch’s vibrant fun. First, relish enticing buffet items like roasted Cornish game hen, mushroom ravioli, and braised short ribs. Live music, pony rides, and a petting zoo keep kids entertained while mini pizzas, Macaroni & cheese, PBJs and more engage their little tastebuds. Brunch is served from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Adults, $59; children 4-14, $25 and children under 3 are complimentary. Call 858-675-8550 or visit ranchobernardoinn.com for more information.
11. If you’ve never experienced the bliss of watching food disappear behind a curtain of chocolate and reappear suddenly much, much tastier, then you must visit El Bizcocho at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for brunch this Mother’s Day. Aside from the chocolate fountain, the award-winning restaurant promises goat cheese whipped potatoes, seared sesame crusted Ahi Tuna and more. Pianist Jim Melone will provide the ambiance. Seating is available from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Adults, $75; children 4-11, $35. Children under 3 are complimentary. Call 858-675-8550 or visit ranchobernardoinn.com/el-bizcocho-restaurant for more information.
12. Bertrand at Mister A’s knows how to lure even the most unenthusiastic brunch-goer. Begin the morning with champagne, wine or freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Then savor the starters—fresh berries and Chantilly cream, anyone?—flavor-packed entrees and ooh-worthy desserts. Mark your calendars: May 13th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. $49.50 per person, excluding drinks and gratuity. For reservations (strongly recommended) call 619-239-1377. For the complete menu visit bertrandatmisteras.com.
13. If your mother’s favorite mantras went something like this: mind your manners, maintain grace, and don’t chew with your mouth open, the Mission Inn Hotel & Spa in Riverside is offering you the opportunity to demonstrate that you were listening all those years. On Saturday, May 12, the Miss Manners Afternoon Tea will promise a variety of sweet and savory morsels, a one hour session of Miss Manners Charm School, and an enchanting carriage ride through downtown Riverside. Seating at 2 p.m. or 3 p.m. $45 per person. Call 951-341-6767 for reservations or visit missioninn.com for more information.
14. And if after all this talk of grilled yellowtail and ricotta pancakes your mom thinks burgers are best, then here’s a tasty tidbit: Ron Weinberg, owner of Elevation Burger in Carlsbad, is personally inviting all moms to eat free on Mother’s Day. Their burger by the same name features double meat and double cheese. Visit elevationburger.com for more information.
15. Give Mom the gift of bottomless mimosas or make-your-own Bloody Marys at Burlap. Snake Oil Cocktail Company will be mixing up their “Mother Do You Think They’ll Like The Song” (house infused lavender vodka, fresh lemon, bitters, soda and rose hip perfume) and the “Mamma’s Boy” (cognac, ginger-honey, lavender, bubbles and a lemon twist). Add to that the crab cake benny or lobster scramble, and you’ve got brunch for mama! Bonus: Burlap will be selling custom potted succulents and organic soaps and candles in the back bar. Burlapeats.com
16. Moms in Point Loma will get a complimentary flower at Gabardine with their sword bacon and egg, carne asada con huevos, or breakfast a la Portuguese. Don’t forget the mimosas and you’ll also be able to call the resto for flower arrangements. One-stop shop for mom!
17. If Mama’s hungry, treat her to Gingham in La Mesa: she’ll go nuts for the smoked prime rib with charred asparagus, sunny egg “au jus” and horseradish cream. They’ve also got the Bloody Mary bar, complimentary flower, and bottomless mimosas, as well as a special kids menu. ginghameats.com
18. How about taking Mom to a nice buffet accompanied by a live Flamenco guitarist? At Cafe Sevilla, she can take her time enjoying and returning to the carving station, crepe station, and omelet station. She'll get a complimentary glass of Champagne or sangria (plus just $5 extra for all you can drink!). Note that there will be a Flamenco Dinner Performance that night, with 5:30 p.m. seating in the tapas bar. Brunch: 10:00 a.m. - 2 p.m., $34.95; $14.95 for kids; Dinner: $39.50 per person. Call for reservations: 619-233-5979. cafesevilla.com